EHE: Revolutionizing Preventive Healthcare with Integrated Technology and Data-driven Solutions
Founded in 1913, EHE Health is a preventive health company headquartered in New York City, focuses on guiding employees towards optimal health
Founded in 1913, EHE Health is a preventive health company headquartered in New York City, focuses on guiding employees towards optimal health. The business model of EHE focuses on delivering health programs with focused outcomes for employees of their customers. Much of the core functionality managing the patient’s lifecycle has been in legacy systems and it was hard to keep up with personalized and timely data needs for patients. With constantly changing patient’s demography and consistent growth of the company, demands to effectively engage patients through various channels have increased, leading EHE to seek a new solution. Identified key challenges included:
- Due to the monolithic nature of the existing legacy applications, it was very difficult to make changes to the user engagement needs and typical change cycle was in months.
- Performance of the current patient portal was sub-optimal and user experience did not meet the modern standards, from page response times to insights into individual user experience.
- Scalability of the existing applications was limited, and performance was impacted when new marketing promotions were released.
- The current team was not familiar with the agile application development processes and one of the goals was to empower EHE’s teams to accelerate delivery of new features. Leadership at EHE decided to embrace a cloud platform to accelerate the delivery of the new patient portal. AWS was a natural choice with a majority of the services covered under support for HIPAA compliance and reference architectures available for easy adoption. Presidio is an AWS advanced partner with demonstrated expertise in building and delivering secure cloud native applications at speed.
Presidio leveraged the AWS Platform to build and deliver a secure patient portal that simplifies the user sign up process, scheduling of appointments and provides a timely and secure way of notifying patients on actions. As a part of the solution, AWS also enabled marketing stakeholders and customer support team members to provide insight into user experience and proactively improve the patient onboarding experience. Presidio engaged various business stakeholders at EHE to help them understand the business needs and build consensus though design-thinking discussions, ultimately identifying a core set of features for development.
Following are some of the guiding principles that were established for technology decisions:
- Deliver an intuitive user experience that is easy for patients to adopt to the new system without need for user manuals or extensive help documents.
- Deliver a highly responsive system with more than 99% of the user interactions taking less than 2 seconds.
- Take an API approach to leverage existing legacy assets while introducing flexibility to deliver user experiences at speed.
- Leverage managed AWS Cloud Native Services wherever applicable to accelerate delivery.
- Develop a highly available infrastructure built on AWS Well Architected Principles.
- Capture user experience data to understand the overall user behavior and continue to improve the overall user experience
Results and Benefits
After the initial rollout of the new patient portal for patients of 10 EHE key clients, multiple benefits were realized.
- Improved user experience and feedback from patients.
- Simplified booking process established.
- Added functionality enabling marketing to deliver personalized high-touch messages for patients.
- End-to-end visibility of the user journey which has helped improve user experience.
- i. Introduction of simplified booking increased conversion 180% compared to the traditional channel.
- ii. SSO capabilities increased conversion by 30% compared to the traditional channel.
- Established a foundation for cloud native application development, helping EHE to move from a monthly release to bi-weekly releases for myEHE.