In today’s highly-converged datacenter and the all-flash array market, more Fiber Channel and FCoE bandwidth has become a necessity. Video, Big Data, and the accelerated pace of private and hybrid cloud adoption are driving demand for increased data storage
Just a few months ago, Cisco announced that two new switches will be able to deliver this required bandwidth. The 9148S 16G fabric switch and the MDS 9706 director class switch are both new to the market and each will support 2, 4, 8 and 16 Gbps. Both of the new switches will continue to use the now 10-year-old NX-OS operating system and will support Data Center Network Manager. Some highlights are listed below:
- Up to 48 x 16-Gbps at line-rate performance
- Easily scalable in 12 port increments
- Automated provisioning which prevents errors from occurring during zoning
- Integration with UCS Director and EMC ViPR
- 16-Gbps are all at line-rate performance
- Up to 192 16-Gbps ports in a 9U chassis
- Multi-hop FCoE with a new 48x10G FCoE module
- Support of over 4,000 logins per switch (100% improvement over previous generations)
MDS FCoE Line Card
- Cisco MDS 9700 48-Port 10-Gbps Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) Module
- Support for converged Multi-hop FCoE deployments
- A single 9700 chassis will now be able to support FC and FCoE in the same chassis
Why it Matters?
- Both switches include automated provisioning and use of a quick configuration wizard (use of the same NX-OS that powers the entire Cisco DC product portfolio).
- The “Pay as you Grow” model will allow you to scale from 12 to 48 ports, which positions the MDS 9148S as the most affordable and versatile 16G fabric switch.
- Interchangeable, redundant power supplies and integrated fans provide high availability.
- Switches provide enterprise-class features at an economic value for environments of all sizes.
Overall, storage networking is an integral part of the data center architecture. By combining best-of-breed storage solutions with network, compute and overall management, businesses are ready to expand their private networks into a next generation data center.
Where to buy?
All of the new MDS products are available today. Contact Presidio and Cisco for to gather more information.
To learn more, here are a few related sites for additional information:
For more information please visit www.cisco.com/go/mds
Follow us on Twitter @Presidio